views and thoughts from a mundane and regular life

Finding Beautiful Things in My Everyday World

views and thoughts from a mundane and regular life


Monday, July 29, 2013

I think it was the wrong conclusion...

Church yesterday. Pastor talked about holiness - God's holiness that is the only aspect of God that is repeated three times.  Holy, holy, holy.  From what he said, and from what I can confirm, the more a word was repeated the more emphasis it had.

So, not only is God holy, he is like, holy to the nth degree.  The point Pastor was making is that all the things that God is, in everything he does, in everything he is, comes from a place of holiness.  Holy love, holy patience, holy truth, etc.  And the conclusion he made was that we were to be like that, holy - called to be holy.  And that this separates us from the world, that it SHOULD separate us from the world.

It's on this point that I disagree.

You see, I think that God consecrates (sets aside) those who are believers, but I think that the setting aside has more to do with a level of protection over being separated from the world.  If we weren't called to be a part of the world, why would there be a caution to not hide your light under a bushel?  Why would Jesus pray for protection of his disciples who were going out into the world?  Why aren't we immediately caught up to heaven when we are saved? 

I know that this is sort-of a pet peeve issue with me these days.  Part of the problem is that in my 15 years "Christian Hiatus", the non-believers that I met hadn't met many Christians.  You know, the people who were such followers of Jesus the Christ that they emulated his love and acceptance of people in their current state?  Not a lot of people out there doing that.  You see a lot of holier-than-thou, a lot of "you sinner" accusations, a lot of hate, a lot of sneering, a lot of avoiding the downtrodden by Christians out there.  But not a lot of holy people demonstrating God's love.  Is it any wonder that people don't want to meet the real Jesus?  What they aren't seeing out there is Love.  That holy love that God has for his creation.  The tender, caring, compassion that is needed to draw the lost close to Him.  Jesus loved people where they were right then.  He didn't require them to do ANYTHING.  He didn't even require them to accept the gift of His love for them to be loved.  How much can I do that as a Christian... that's my goal, to be the example of Jesus' love to the broken and messy, the human who needs it from a human who needs it too.

I grew up in the church.  I know that feeling of, well... fear, that "the world/worldliness" would get me.  I never understood what it was that the adults were so worried about.  Not that I didn't understand sin and being bad, but I didn't understand why we had to guard so hard against it.  Wasn't that what forgiveness was FOR? 

I don't think that we should go out and do "bad" stuff.  I think that we go out and be the best humans we can be, but the times that we mess up (and goodness, it's a lot), those times are covered by grace and forgiveness.

I have an acquaintance with whom I am navigating a new friendship.  As we are getting to know each other, I find myself apologizing probably once a week because I've overstepped a previously unknown boundary (and sometimes in my selfishness, a known boundary).  My friend does too.  We don't expect each other to be perfect, we're going to make mistakes, and hurt each other, and do it wrong sometimes... and that's what forgiveness is for - those times when we don't get it right.  But I would prefer to make all of the mistakes and be rewarded with this beautiful friendship we are forging over making no mistakes and having no friendship.

How much more do we, SHOULD we have that with God?  Why are we so afraid of our humanity?  Aren't we here so that we learn stuff?  Aren't we here to glorify God in our broken state?  Aren't we here to be the light that shows the path to God's greatness, mercy, grace, and love?  How do we DO that if we are so separate, and sneering at those who are lost, or afraid of getting some of their messy sin stuff on us?

Maybe I have it wrong.  If I do, please enlighten me.  Again, I am not looking to be a big ol' sinner just to have something to forgive.  I AM a big ol' sinner in need of forgiveness and salvation.  I think it's my obligation to be none other than I am and through GOD's holiness, forgiveness, grace, mercy and LOVE for me, show how much He loves us as His creation.

So Christians, get out there.  Care about people, meet the needs that are in front of you.  Be messy.  Ask for forgiveness - and also ask for the myriad of things we need as humans are in need of a Savior.  God is Great, and will provide what is needed.

Go be holy, but don't hide from the world.  Love on people, be the Jesus that people need to see.  His grace is sufficient for you - and for a dying world.

*UPDATE*: My friend read this and suggested that I'd taken a bit of a veer from the way the post started, and I agree.  He suggested that what I was trying to say about the conclusion that our Pastor made being wrong was really: that like even a few drops of oil shaken up into a bottle of water, being among the world as a Christian we remain oil - a Christian no matter how dispersed our contents in the water.  Does that make sense?  (Also, is it any wonder that I admire this friend so much?)

1 comment:

  1. Christ spent his time with the sinners and down trodden. He didn't just spend time with the "perfect people". As no one is perfect. We are to love all people. I think you are right on about meeting the needs of those around you and showing Christ's love to all and not looking down on others. One of my church leaders said it best when he said, Don't judge others because they sin differently than you. :)

    ReplyDelete